The 2 day meet concluded with the boys totaling 193 points, 78 points ahead of 2nd place Westside’s 115 points. The girls totaled 152.5 points landing them ahead of 2nd place Westside’s 141. This year Region 1-AAAAA included 8 teams, making this meet highly competitive in all events.
In each event, top 8 scored and top 7 moves on to state Qualifier. The winner of each event is crowned “All-Region”.
The girls and boys depth and ability to score multiple people in many of the events proved to be deciding factor in the team’s victory!
Some impressive Highlights from the meet include-
- 3 Girls in the top 4 in the Triple Jump: Leah Dotson, Jayla Lawton, and Alana Webster. Leah returned to run the 400, and with Brooklyn Cathey they added 2 top 8 finishes.
- 3 Girls in the top 7 in the 100m Hurdles: Alana Webster, Catherine Demino, and Shatajha Norris. Alana and Catherine came back with top 4 finishes in the 400 hurdles.
- 3 Girls in the top 7 in the 200 Meters: Leniah Johnson, Mikayla Howard, and Brooklyn Cathey. Leniah did this after running an impressive 2nd place finish in the 100m
- 2 Girls in the top 4 in the Shot and Discus: Joanna Logue and Dro Lee.
- 3 Girls in the top 8 of Pole Vault: Lauren Patterson, Adeline Youngblood, and Catie Ellison. Lauren Patterson and Shatajha Norris added top 7 finishes in the High Jump.
- 2 Girls in the top 5 in the 1600 Riley Nicholson and Kaelyn Slaughter. Kaelyn came back in the 3200 to place 3rd and Riley added a 6th place finish in the 800. Elizabeth Fortner returned from injury to run a gutsy 6th place finish in the 3200.
- The girls finished 3rd or better in all three of the relays. 2nd in the 4×4 (Catherine, Leah, Dasha, and Riley); 3rd in the 4×100(Leah, Catherine, Leniah, and Dasha); 3rd in the 4×800(Riley, Kaelyn, Mykala Cantrell, and Sarah Chandler)
- In all three of the Jumps, the boys had at least 3 in the top 5. In the High Jump Isaiah Norris, Dequarius Reed, and Ansley Charles. In the Long Isaiah, JJ Hudson, and Jon Pierre went 1-2-3 and all over 22 feet. In the triple Jon, Royal Foster, Ansley Charles, and Darius Dotson went an impressive 1-2-3-4. Jon Pierre came back to finish 2nd in the 400, running 49.34.
- In the highly competitive 1600 race, the boys had 4 in the top 7 and 3 in the top 4: Austin Spencer, Scott Daughtry, Jack McGahey, and Evan Smith. The top 7 were all under 4:40. With Connor Buckless, Austin and Jack came back in the 3200 to put 3 in the top 5.
- 3 Boys in the top 8 of the 100: Isaiah Norris, Truly Jones, JJ Hudson. Truly came back in the 200 to place 3rd.
- 2 Boys in the top 5 of 400 Hurdles: Nicholas Rozakos and Nick Carson. Dequarius Reed added a valuable 3rd place in the 110 Hurdles.
- 3 Boys placed in the top 6 of the very competitive Pole Vault: Evan Motes, Brent Merlo, and Timothy Dodds.
- Jay McGuire added a valuable 4th place finish in the Discus.
- The boys placed 2nd in each of the 3 relays, including one of the most competitive 4×4’s we have seen on the T.L. Hanna track, which was an amazing way to end the meet! 4×100 (Isaiah, JJ, Eric Lopez, and Truly); 4×400(Justin Ross, Royal Foster, Xavier Swinger, Jon Pierre); and 4×800 (Austin, Xavier, Jack, and Nick).
Leah Dotson- Triple Jump
Isaiah Norris- Long Jum and High Jump
Jon Pierre- Triple Jump
Austin Spencer- 1600m
The girls and boys compete Saturday, May 4th at State Qualifier and those that qualify will compete May 10 and May 11 at State.
Full Results can be found @ https://sc.milesplit.com/meets/334486/results#.XMMeszBKjIU